Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Litter in New Trier

One of the things that always bothers me while walking around the school is the amount of trash I see lying around. While in general, generation by generation the amount of littering has gone down, I still do see lots of litter lying around the school. When finding garbage to take pictures of, it took me barely any time to come across it.

Milk carton left  on a vent
Seen on the second floor rotunda

Seeing all this garbage lying around the school makes me think of this line in the Great Gatsby:
"They were careless people, Tom and Daisy--they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness, or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made..." (179).
Although I don't want it to, I think this quote pertains to us, the student body of New Trier High School.
The carelessness and laziness of not throwing trash away just leads to other people having to clean up after us--Almost always the custodial staff. I think that some students don't realize that these simple, mindless actions of not cleaning up cause a lot of unnecessary hassle for the custodians, not to mention it is disrespectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment