Saturday, May 11, 2013

The War of Eden's Plaza


In Wilmette, Illinois, the Eden's Plaza Shopping Center has been around since the 1950's. However, it was much smaller than it is today up until the late 80's. My mom mentioned to me that there was some tension at this time with regards to the stripmall expanding. She told me that my grandparents were very against the expansion because they were afraid certain establishments (for example, fast food restaurants) would be put in place there. They feared this might somehow lower the value of the neighborhood.
In American Studies class we discussed how few fast food restaurants and large chain companies (like Target and Wallmart) exist in the North Shore. As convenient as these stores are, people don't want them ruining the village "look" of the area, or drawing in the "wrong" crowd of people who do not "belong" in the North Shore.  I think that by labeling certain people of lower incomes as the ones who do not belong in the neighborhood just makes the North Shore more isolated from reality, since there is generally very little diversity in terms of social classes.

Just last year, a Wallgreens was opened in Eden's Plaza where a Borders book store used to be. I couldn't find any information on whether this was controversial or not, but I personally find it to be very convenient since it is so close to my house, and there are not many drugstores like Wallgreens in Wilmette.

Edens Plaza before Walgreens was put in place


For more info: 


No comments:

Post a Comment